McClelland’s Motivation Theory

Political Science Essay on The Tea Party and Occupy Movements

The Tea Party and Occupy Movements

The Tea Party refers to a movement that involves all grassroots level Americans in the struggle for equal life pursuance and opportunities, contentment and liberty. The party welcomes everyone to join the fight for the elimination of national debt, protection of free markets, lower taxes, promotion of civil responsibilities and other issues.1 Occupy Wall Street (OWS) on the other hand refers to a movement that comprises of the individuals whose common feeling is that a few rich people holding uppermost offices have shuttered their dreams. The movement uses the slogan, “We are the 99%” which claims that the unwarranted inequality that is being experienced in America is caused by the 1% of the American population that owns large assets at the expensed of the other 99%.

Mainstream parties can be influenced by the Tea Party’s public outcry to review the positions that they currently occupy because the position of the movement goes past convectional conservatism view whose emphasis was small economic and government freedom.2 OWS comprises of most unemployed and poor people.

[1] “Ten Core Beliefs of the Modern-Day Tea Party Movement Ten Core Beliefs of the Modern-Day Tea Party Movement” Tea Party Movement Platform, accessed 9 Dec. 2013. http://www.teaparty-platform.com/

2 Christopher S. Parker, Change They Can’t Believe In the Tea Party and Reactionary Politics in America. (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2013), 3.

3 Todd Gitlin, “The Left Declares Its Independence “The New York Times, Sunday Review, October 8, 2011, accessed 9 Dec. 2013. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/opinion/sunday/occupy-wall-street-and-the-tea-party.html?pagewanted=all

As such, major parties are likely to dismiss its position. The crash of this party with the authority combined with the absence of clear objectives might cause its failure later since it has declined to share platform with major political parties.3

Both the OWS and the Tea Party have a similar platform that they use to vent anger about economic unfaithfulness. These movements are becoming strong because they strongly dislike elitists. Arwine notes that, it is early to determine the strength of the effect that these movements will have on participation levels. It is also early to state that the stance of these movements towards the elitist (the Tea Party) as well as the populist (OWS) phenomena will eventually turn out to be a permanent aspect of the political arena in the US. 4 Meanwhile, these movements will keep undermining the Democratic and the Republican parties.

4Alan Arwine, The Changing Basis of Political Conflict in Advanced Western Democracies: The Politics of Identity in the United States, the Netherlands, and Belgium. (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), 39-45.

Bibliography

“Ten Core Beliefs of the Modern-Day Tea Party Movement Ten Core Beliefs of the Modern-Day Tea Party Movement” Tea Party Movement Platform, accessed 9 Dec. 2013. http://www.teaparty-platform.com/

Arwine, Alan. The Changing Basis of Political Conflict in Advanced Western Democracies The Politics of Identity in the United States, the Netherlands, and Belgium. New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013, 39-45.

Gitlin, Todd. “The Left Declares Its Independence” The New York Times, Sunday Review, October 8, 2011, accessed 9 Dec. 2013. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/opinion/sunday/occupy-wall-street-and-the-tea-party.html?pagewanted=all

Parker, Christopher S. Change They Can’t Believe In the Tea Party and Reactionary Politics in America. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2013.

Posted by:

admin

Related articles

list of articles

Categories

RSS RSS FEEDS

  • Sample Essay on SWOT Analysis of The Home Depot January 20, 2016
    SWOT Analysis of The Home Depot SWOT analysis of The Home Depot is among the best tools used by the home improvement retailer to gauge its ability to stay afloat and profitable in the market. Although it is considered the largest home improvement retail chain in the world with an estimated revenue base on more […]
    admin

ARCHIVES

Latest News From Blog

Check out Our Blog's assignment samples and tips on how to Write Assigments
Essay sample on the Effects of Cold War on Soviet Union..

Effects of Cold War on Soviet Union The Soviet Union was one of the main participants in the Cold War. It was engaged in the war with the USA and - See more

Essay sample on Effects of Cold War on Asia

Effects of Cold War on Asia Tensions of the Cold War began shifting from Europe to Asia in 1949 when Mao Zeodong proclaimed the birth of the ...Read More

Sample Essay on United Kingdom Healthcare System

United Kingdom Healthcare System United Kingdom healthcare system, also known as the National Health Service was established...Read More

Back to Top